Pages

Mom@Play: 7 Reasons To Play Warhammer Fantasy

I was so excited when this article was featured on GeekDad.com. Sadly, I haven't really played Warhammer since January. It's hard to keep up with all of the basic rules of the game AND all of the rules that are special to each army. I am hoping when the kids are a little older, or if VIP and I don't end up playing Pokémon when she starts Kindergarten, maybe I'll pick up my Slaan again.

Saurus warriors ready for battle. Photo by Cathe Post

November 7, 2010

My husband brought home a dark red cardboard box that was no bigger than a schoolbook. When I found out the little rat warrior miniatures in the box weren’t for any Dungeons and Dragons story line we were playing, but instead were for a wargame called Warhammer, I quickly lost interest in what my husband was doing…until he started getting into my polymer clay to make unique bases for each miniature, and into my paints and paintbrushes to bring out the detail of the characters. Then, I started thinking, maybe this game is for me.

Warhammer is a miniatures war game that is (from my observations) predominately played by 25-50 year old males. Thankfully, I was not terribly nervous about joining an escalation tournament in a local league. It’s sad there aren’t as many women as men playing this game. There are so many reasons to play!

My army is ready to charge...me.

7 reasons as a wife, mom, or woman that you should play Warhammer:

  1. Strategy - As a mom, it is always important to not let your strategic skills drop to a non-adult level.
  2. Spacial reasoning – Use game play as an opportunity to hone your interior decorating skills. If you can deploy and march your miniatures army effectively, imagine how efficiently you could arrange your living space or pack luggage.
  3. Spirited debate – Even with a four year old I feel like I am constantly arguing with a teenager. There is a fine line between arguing and debating, but one game of Warhammer normally contains at least one rules debate.
  4. Adult time – Let’s be honest: it’s fun to play games with the kids, but how many games of Candyland can you take?
  5. Carnage – After a long day, you just want to go ‘Office Space’ on something – ANYTHING! What better way than with dice and fantasy creatures!
  6. Date – Chances are, if you are starting to play Warhammer as a mom, you know someone else who plays it as well. If the person you know is your husband, make it a date night! If you are lacking a significant other to play with, there are a good number of nice single guys who play (and would probably think it’s totally HOT that a single girl plays or wants to learn).
  7. Art - Okay, even if you aren’t for imagined blood and carnage, there is an artistic side to this game. You pick your army, you assemble them and you paint them. If you don’t like what a member of your unit looks like, find what you like and create it. You are given complete artistic license over what your army looks like.

Saurus banner carrier.

I should probably point out that Warhammer Fantasy is a different game from Warhammer 40,000. Warhammer 40,000, or 40k, is a futuristic space-themed game that attracts a younger crowd than Fantasy (‘tween and teen age boys are much more likely to play 40k), but I choose to play a game that I can share company with a (generally) more age appropriate crowd, at least in my area.

I looked at all of the armies and chose to play a Lizardmen army. What army will you choose?