Pages

Beer the Whole Family Can Enjoy


Image CC by Tambako the Jaguar via Flickr

I am proud to report that the beer bread is still requested by the gaming group. Even though summer is quickly approaching, I still make a loaf a month for our family to munch on.


November 1, 2010

A phrase I commonly hear when my husband and I go to our weekly Warhammer battles is, “What we really need is beer!” Unfortunately, alcohol is not allowed on the premises. A couple of weeks ago, one of the objectives was to come up with the best

A porter was used in this loaf to give it a richer flavor. Photo by Tim Post

snack. I started thinking how I could provide beer to my opponents without breaking the rules.

The answer came to me in a flash: beer bread! It is a well known recipe, but considering I live in micro-brew country, there is much experimenting to be had! In the 25 years I have been making this bread, I have always used the original recipe but fiddling is allowed. Darker beers are going to give you a bolder flavor, and adding seeds will enhance the flavors.

Here is what you need:
3 cups of self-rising flour
3 TB of sugar
1 12 ounce container of beer

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard size loaf pan. Mix the flour, sugar, and beer together. Pour the dough in the pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. The bread will be soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. I normally put the baked bread upside down (in the pan) on a rack to cool so the crispness is even around the loaf.

Beer bread is a fast and easy side dish for stews during the colder parts of the year, a tasty snack with butter or jam on it, or a great gift.

Oh – the bread was the favorite among my Warhammer cohorts. I hope it is as popular with you.

Blue Boar Ale was used in this loaf. Photo by Cathe Post