Pages

Wonder Woman Day 2010 PDX Experience In Pictures


Image from wonderwomanmuseum.com

My husband and I really enjoyed Wonder Woman Day. If there was a tangible way to measure enjoyment, the amount of enjoyment my husband and I experienced wouldn't hold a candle to the amount my daughter did. Next time I will know what to expect, and how to get more out of the experience.


November 8, 2010

I am a comic book newbie. The extent of my super hero knowledge is from recent movie adaptations. Of course, the artist in me is occasionally drawn to the art of the ink, or the unique story. But, for the most part, comic books are down the list of things I geek out over. Until recently…

I attended Wonder Woman Day, at Excalibur Comics, in Portland, Oregon. Wonder Woman Day is an event, produced by Bradley Angle, to raise money for domestic violence programs. Excalibur teams with Comic Fusion in Flemington, New Jersey. This is the 5th year for the event, that is regularly scheduled for the last Sunday in October.

When my husband and I arrived at the event with our two kids in tow, we didn’t know what to expect. I had read the website and poster, but didn’t recognize anyone except the Cloud City Garrison. I took my camera hoping to get a few fitting photographs to share with you.

I have a whole new appreciation for the work these artists put into their trade. These are wonderful people and they do amazing work. You should check them out: Steve Dorris, Dane Ault, Rich Ellis, Emi Lenox, Anne Timmons, Natalie Nourigat, Ron Randall, and Matt Wagner.

My favorite moment of the day was when the Greatest American Hero sang Believe It Or Not. My daughter looked at me quizzically as I wiped a tear from my eye from laughing so hard. I am glad we attended. My daughter was not ready to leave (considering we would like to take her to Emerald City and PAX next year, I am glad she had fun with this short geeky venture), and I am ready to attend again next year!

Thanks to Jennifer K. Stuller for information about the event.