Pages

Ink Stained Amazons Author Talks With GeekMom

There isn't enough room on this blog to say all of the nice things there are to say about Jennifer.


Jennifer K. Stuller Photo: Ryan Wilkerson

January 26, 2011

Jennifer K.Stuller is the author of Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology, which I previously reviewed here on GeekMom. When I met Jennifer at a GeekGirlCon meeting, I knew that both she and her book would be fascinating. Recently, I was able to to catch up with Jen and learn more about her.

GeekMom: Besides Wonder Woman, who would you pick as your favorite modern female pop culture role model? Why?

Jennifer K. Stuller: I would have to give you a “top five” – and it would include Wonder Woman, Buffy Summers, Mrs. Emma Peel, Sydney Bristow, and Modesty Blaise.

If I ever really had to narrow it down to one it would be Modesty. She is the most complex, sophisticated, skilled, and intelligent of all action heroines. As lovely as she is deadly, Modesty can be either a great friend or a shrewd adversary.

GM: Your bio says you knit. What is your latest project? What yarn are you using?

JKS: Ha! Yes, it does. I actually just picked up my needles this holiday season for the first time in a good long while. I made some garlands for the tree, and started making scarves for my cousin’s children as holiday gifts. They are big Husky fans, so I started one purple scarf with gold fringe and one gold scarf with purple fringe. Taking the fact that they were for boys both under the age of five, I used Encore yarn so they could easily be washed.

Of course, I started this project a week before the holiday and did not finish in time. So they can all expect a package in the near future!

GM: Do you have another book project on the horizon?

JKS: I might. (wink)

GM: Would you ever write about real female heroes in the same format as Ink Stained Amazons?

JKS: I would definitively write about real world female heroes – and have! And while I’d certainly love to write a book about them, it would likely present itself in a different format.

GM: Who is your favorite non-fictional heroine?

JKS: Gloria Steinem.

GM: Do you feel you need super powers to balance family, career, and extra activities (such as GeekGirlCon)?

JKS: It depends on how you define “super powers.” I think that believing in something, or being passionate about it, being able to recognize that the work/life balance is a practice, having patience, and knowing when to ask for help if you need it can be seen as super powers. And like any hero, having allies and a supportive partner helps!